Intervertebral Disc (Spinal) Decompression Therapy – IDD Therapy – In Essex (Chigwell & Hornchurch Clinics)
To book an appointment with one of our Spinal Disc Therapy Experts CALL (020) 8501 0937 to speak to our specialist team today!
MRI Evaluation & Consult
See If Decompression
is right for you
No MRI? We can arrange A Gold Standard MRI with expert report from £350
What is IDD Spinal Decompression Therapy?
IDD Therapy is the leading non-surgical spinal decompression treatment, that uses precise angles, and computer controlled, patented oscillatory decompression (traction) forces to target specific segments of the spine in order to alleviate pressure on compressed discs & trapped nerves to promote natural healing and pain relief. With it’s patented Oscillation feature, “IDD Therapy” is the gold standard (be wary of other cheaper, less effective forms of decompression / traction).
Safe, gentle and non-invasive, IDD Therapy addresses the failings of traditional traction and the natural limitations of what clinicians can do with the hands alone. The treatment involves the gentle distraction (drawing apart) of targeted spinal segments to remove pressure from spinal structures including the discs and spinal nerves to reduced pain, promote healing and improve mobility. There are over 1000 clinics internationally and around 50 clinics in the UK providing this specialist service.
We are one of the UK’s most experienced providers of IDD Therapy. In 2011 our Chigwell clinic, was proud to be the first clinic in Essex, and the 3rd in the UK, to offer IDD Therapy. Following our success in Chigwell, two years later we established the first IDD Therapy clinic in London (city centre). Currently we have clinics offering IDD Therapy in Chigwell and Hornchurch (East London / Essex)..
Why choose IDD Spinal Decompression Therapy at Spine Plus Clinics? Listen to Vicki’s story on how she was referred to us by her surgeon and saved from having spinal surgery:
If you have persistent back pain or neck pain or suffer with any of the following conditions, you may be a suitable for Spinal Decompression:
- SLIPPED, BULGING OR HERNIATED DISC(S) – in the lumbar spine (low back) or cervical spine (neck)
- DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE, Modic change
- SCIATICA (leg pains from the back), pinched or trapped nerve in leg(s) or arm(s)
- DISC PROTRUSION, PROLAPSE OR SPONDYLOSIS (disc thinning)
- STENOSIS (canal or foraminal), facet pain, trouble walking
- CHRONIC LOW BACK PAIN, morning stiffness, difficulty getting out of bed.
- TINGLING and or NUMBNESS in the arms, or legs
- STIFFNESS in the back or neck, weakness when lifting
- Trouble with your back when BENDING, SITTING or STANDING
- DO YOU HAVE CHRONIC PAIN? TAKING LOTS OF PAIN KILLERS? Have you been told you have to “learn to live the pain” and or rely on pain killers / anti-inflammatories? Our Spinal Decompression Therapy and Disc Therapy Programs have helped 100’s of people reduce or completely stop their long term pain medications.
- HAVE YOU TRIED OR BEEN TOLD YOU SHOUD HAVE SPINAL ADJUSTMENTS / MANIPULATION, (PHYSIO or PILATES) EXERCISES? Whilst we utilise all these methods and several others besides (as and when appropriate, according to your personal care plan) in many cases these methods alone do not provide the most complete solution. IDD Spinal Decompression therapy is arguably the most important component of any non invasive therapy care plan for patients suffering with compression of their discs which is ultimately THE most common underlying reason for chronic back pain, sciatica and spinal stenosis.
- HAVE YOU TRIED EVERYTHING TO FIX YOUR BACK / NECK? Have you tried chiropractic, osteopathy, massage, acupuncture, injections and even surgery and poor results? We regularly achieve success where these treatments have failed.
- DO YOU THINK OR BEEN TOLD INJECTIONS OR SURGERY IS YOUR ONLY ANSWER? Most surgeons would agree that surgery should be the last resort. IDD Spinal Decompression Therapy is virtually risk free and many of our former patients have been saved from undergoing spinal surgery with IDD Therapy. We work closely with several leading spinal surgeons who regularly refer their patients to us for IDD Therapy before considering surgery.
How does IDD Spinal Decompression Therapy work? Play the Videos Below to Find Out:
An Introduction to IDD Therapy
IDD A Patients Story
Do You Suffer With Lower Back Pain, Neck Pain, Sciatica, Slipped Disc or Trapped Nerves (Numbness, Tingling, Pain, & / or Pins and Needles in your Arms or Legs? And want to avoid injections & Surgery?
If you do and traditional treatments such a physiotherapy, osteopathy, chiropractic, medications are not (fully) working, then IDD Spinal Decompression Therapy at Spine Plus Clinics may be just the treatment you need! To view our “playlist” (on YouTube) of our many happy patients who have benefitted from IDD Therapy, click on the “View on YouTube” link in the video opposite. Or to listen many other stories from IDD patients from other clinics in the UK & beyond Click here.
Here’s Just Some of Our Patient Testimonials on IDD Therapy:
Having suffered with low back pain and Sciatica for 4 years and despite having tried various other physical therapies, John came to see us at Spine Plus Clinics for a Free Review. His MRI scan revealed, a broad based disc injury (protrusion) at L5/S1 vertebrae that was compromising the left L5 nerve root in his spine. This had been causing him severe pain and discomfort for 4 years. We established a treatment plan with a combination of IDD Therapy, and Medical Acupuncture (Paraspinal dry needling) and core strengthening exercise this is his story.
“For 40 years or more, I have suffered with some degree of back pain, but about ten years ago it became much worse. Physiotherapy did not help – indeed, it only aggravated it. After 20 or so sessions with Spine Plus, using the IDD, there was a dramatic improvement. Now, two years later, I have virtually no back pain at all.”
Further Information and Frequently Asked Questions (click the “+” symbol to expand each section):
Computer-controlled treatment at precisely measured angles
As the joints are distracted, pressure is taken off the disc, joints and nerves. The targeted spinal segment is gently mobilised to create pressure differentials to help improve a flow of fluid and nutrients into the disc space.
These fluids and nutrients help with healing and repair and the gentle, oscillating movement helps the joints to become lubricated and to move more freely.
Where a disc is pressing on a nerve and causing pain, this mobilisation may help the body to retract a bulging disc and thus remove or reduce the pressure and therefore relieve pain.
Our goal is to help the body move freely. Whilst we can do this with our hands most of the time, IDD Therapy gently stretches tight muscles and stiff ligaments in a manner which is not possible with the hands alone.
Working the soft tissues with the SPINA machine helps the body move more freely and as you get more mobility in the spine, this helps the body’s natural healing mechanisms.
Improve joint mobility to free the body's natural healing mechanisms
IDD treatment is gentle and safe. There are built-in safety features and the aim is for you to remain as relaxed as possible; many patients actually go to sleep although we prefer that they remain awake so that they can feel the full effects of the treatment.
Each treatment on the SPINA machine lasts approximately 25 minutes; this is the time needed to work the spinal structures adequately to help bring about the physiological changes we are seeking.
Before treatment we apply infrared heat to the area to increase blood flow into the soft tissues. After treatment we apply cold packs to reduce post treatment inflammation and encourage improved collagen formation within healing discs.
IDD Therapy combined with exercise for a complete treatment programme
If you have had back or neck pain for a while certain segments of your spine may be stiff or tight, this can impede circulation and healing capacity. At the same time certain “core” muscles that support the spinal column are likely to have “switched off”.
IF I HAVE SPINAL DECOMPRESSION TREATMENT, HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SEE RESULTS?
Most patients report some decrease in pain after the first handful of sessions. Generally, substantial improvement is obtained by the second week of treatment (or after 10 to 15 sessions). Long term improvement in the health of the disc takes little longer depending on the grade of the disc injury.
HOW MUCH TIME DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY?
Most IDD appointments take between 30 and 45 minutes and the optimum frequency is between 2 and 4 sessions per week.
DO I QUALIFY FOR SPINAL DECOMPRESSION TREATMENT?
Proper patient selection is vital to good outcomes, not everyone is suitable for IDD therapy, the inclusion and exclusion criteria is set out below.
- Pain because of herniated and bulging lumbar or cervical discs that is more than four weeks old
- Recurring pain from a failed back surgery that is more than 6 months old.
- Persisting pain from degenerated disc not improving after four weeks of conventional treatment.
- Patients available for 6 weeks of treatment protocol.
- Patient at least 18 years old.
- Appliances like pedicle screws and rods
- Prior lumbar fusion less than 6 months old
- Metastatic cancer
- Extreme osteoporosis (DEXA scan Z score less than -2.5)
- Spondylolisthesis grade 2 or above
- Compression fracture of lumbar spine below L-1 (recent).
- Pars defect.
- Pathologic aortic aneurysm.
- Abdominal or pelvic cancer.
- Disc infections.
- Severe peripheral neuropathy.
- Hemiplegia, paraplegia, or cognitive dysfunction.
ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS TO THE TREATMENT?
Almost all patients do not experience any serious side effects, some transient mild discomfort and or stiffness and very occasionally muscle spasm can be experienced for a brief period following the initial few sessions of treatment but this almost always settles as the sessions are progressed.
EXACTLY HOW DOES IDD SPINAL DECOMPRESSION SEPARATE EACH VERTEBRA AND ALLOW DECOMPRESSION AT A PARTICULAR LEVEL?
Decompression at specific segments is attained using a specific angles of pull. The unique decompression effects of IDD Therapy are achieved via a slow pull that is generated with a sinusoidal wave form of incremental pulling force up to the top target pressure of each pulling cycle, then (patented) oscillatory pulling forces during the each top target pressure phase of each cycle, this minimises the possibility of muscle spasm and maximising the pumping and decompressive effects on the disc. No other spinal decompression or traction therapy is licensed to achieve the same effects.
IS THERE ANY RISK TO THE PATIENT DURING TREATMENT ON SPINAL DECOMPRESSION?
No, so long as you do not have any of the contraindications to, Spinal Decompression is completely safe and comfortable. The IDD system has emergency stop switches for both the operator and the patient. These switches (a requirement of the FDA) end the treatment immediately thereby preventing any injuries.
HOW IS IDD SPINAL DECOMPRESSION TREATMENT DIFFERENT FROM SPINAL TRACTION?
Traditional traction can be for some conditions due to herniated discs or disc degeneration. However, Traction also risks triggering the body’s normal response to stretching by creating painful muscle spasms that worsen the pain in affected area.Traction does not involve the precise targeting of vertebral segments, variation in pulling angles, forces, oscillation and biofeedback that are a feature of IDD Therapy. The comparison would be like comparing the first generation of mobile phones with the latest smart phone. IDD Therapy involves much more advanced technology than tradition traction or inversion therapy. Traction and inversion tables, at best, can lower the intradiscal pressure from a +90 to a +30 mmHg. Spinal Decompression is clinically proven to decrease the intradiscal pressure to between a -150 to -200 mmHg, thereby creating a negative pressure or vacuum effect which over a course of sessions maximises the chance of reducing disc protrusions and improving circulation and therefore healing of the injured disc. Research has shown traditional traction to be around 50% effective, whereas studies show IDD Therapy Spinal Decompression to be effective in 70% to 90% of cases (that are appropriate for IDD Therapy).
CAN SPINAL DECOMPRESSION BE UTILIZED FOR INDIVIDUALS THAT HAVE HAD SPINAL SURGERY?
Apart from operations such as spinal fusion or disc replacement surgery that involve metal work in the spine, in most cases Spinal Decompression treatment is not contra-indicated for patients who have undergone spinal surgery. A lot of patients have found success with IDD Spinal Decompression Therapy after a failed back surgery.