IDD Therapy Disc Clinic – Since 2011
Certain types of headaches
Foot & Ankle
We are also a specialist centre for IDD Therapy, this is a latest highly successful and trusted non-surgical treatment for chronic back pain, sciatica and neck pain due to slipped or bulging discs.
You really don’t have to suffer, call today, get assessed by one our specialists and get set on the road to recovery with East London’s and Essex Finest Treatment Teams.
For more information on our other sister clinics in Essex, please visit our Essex webpage.
60 min New Patient / Review Appointment will include the following:
- Case History
- Orthopaedic & Neurological Examination
- Postural and Functional Movement Assessment
- Working Diagnosis
- Recommendations for Tests to Confirm Diagnosis, if required (e.g. X-ray, MRI or Ultrasound Scan)
- Treatment Planning & Bespoke Rehabilitation Advice
- Commencement of Manual Therapy / Electrotherapy Treatment (as appropriate), see below for more details*
(30 min New Patient Appointment (Assessment Only): £55
30 mins Follow Up “Manual Therapy +/- Electrotherapy Appointment”, will include one or more of the following:
- Spinal Adjustment (Manipulation)
- Medial Acupuncture / Dry Needling (Intramuscular Stimulation)
- Soft Tissue Release (Advanced Massage) Techniques with Osteopath or Physio +/- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Release (e.g. "Graston Technique" & Others)
- Bespoke Rehabilitation
- Kinesio Taping
- Therapeutic Ultrasound Therapy
- Laser Acupuncture
+ Follow Up Advanced Electrotherapy including one or more of the following:
- Laser Therapy
- (Radial) Shock Wave Therapy
- TECAR Diathermy (Pulsed Short Wave Therapy)
- Theraflex (power Assisted Spinal Mobilisation – Hornchurch only)
Cost: £20 Supplement
SPECIALIST INTERVERTEBRAL DISC DECOMPRESSION (IDD) THERAPY PROGRAM – FOR DISC PATIENTS
15 mins Initial (Telephone) Consultation will include:
- Discussion of Symptoms
- Discussion of any previous MRI results
- Rudimentary Assessment of suitability to IDD Therapy & Advice on whether a formal New Patient Initial Consul would be worthwhile.
60 – 75 min New Patient / Review Appt will include the following:
- Case History
- Orthopaedic Tests
- Working Diagnosis & Spinal MRI Imaging / Report Review
- Treatment Planning & Bespoke Rehabilitation Advice
- Commencement of IDD Treatment – First Appt - as appropriate
Single 30 – 45 min Follow Up IDD Therapy
Appt will include the following
- Infrared Heat
- IDD Therapy
- Treatment Planning & Review
- Bespoke Rehabilitation Advice
- Ice Pack Following the IDD Treatment
Cost: £95 (Pay As You Go)
£80 per session when part of pre-paid, pre-scheduled package:
Phase 1: Trial Phase - Block of 6 sessions £480 (£80 per session) Enables clients to gain a "sense" of whether IDD is right for them.
Phase 2: Foundation Phase - Block of 6 sessions: £480 (£80 per session). Most cases achieve 20% - 40% improvement in symptoms by this stage, if this is achieved and things are "on track", the following 3 additional phases are recommended:
Phase 3: Consolidation Phase - Block of 6 sessions* £480 (£80 per session)
Phase 4: Optimisation Phase - Block of 6+ sessions* £480 (£80 per session) *Depending on exact nature of disc injury. We expect 70% - 90% of cases to achieve full (or near full) symptom resolution by this stage.
Phase 5: - Maintenance Phase - Block of 3 sessions: £240 (£80 per session | one session per month). Highly recommended for the first 12 months in order to reduce chance of relapse.
30 min "Bolt-On*" Manual Therapy Appt + Electrotherapy (*Immediately after IDD).
(Osteopathic) Manipulations, Medial Acupuncture / Dry Needling, Manual Soft Tissue Release, Ultrasound, Laser.
+ Advanced Electrotherapy including one or more of the following:
Cost: £5 supplement to Bolt on Fee (£0 when on IDD package)
- Sports / Remedial Massage with Massage Therapist £40 (30mins) | £65 (60 mins) . Available Wed am (Chig), Sunday pm (Woodford)
- Advance Liquid Joint Support | Collagen | Multivitamin with Ginger Supplement: £20
- GP / Consultant Letter: £40
- Ice Packs: £6.50
- Back Pain Decoded (Book Written by Spine Plus Director, Robert Shanks): £25
- Core Zero to Core Hero (Six Week video exercise program designed by Robert Shanks: £25
- Onsite Ultrasound Scan (from ESP Physio / Sonographer Jonny Wride): £105
- Onsite Ultrasound guided Joint or Soft Tissue Injections (Steroid, Hyaluronic Acid, etc): £185 - £250
- MRI Referral - For Gold Standard MRI Scan, including report from leading UK radiologist: £350
- Company Director (Robert Shanks) Fees: Initial Appointment (up to 90 mins) £150 | Follow Up Appointments (30 to 45 mins) £85. (Please note Robert is currently recovering from shoulder surgery and is not seeing any clients until Feb '22, at the earliest).
Robert Shanks - Osteopath & Clinic Director
As company director and co-founder Robert is part of the driving force behind our multidisciplinary approach. Robert has been strongly influenced by his mother, a chartered physiotherapist with 40 years’ experience. Robert graduated as an Osteopath in 2000 and subsequently furthered his education with several postgraduate courses, notably in medical acupuncture, electrotherapy and clinical Pilates (the latter with the renowned Australian Physiotherapy and Pilates Institute). As well as treating sports injuries and tension headaches, Robert’s other main area of special interest is the management of patients with chronic low back pain and neck pain associated with disc problems.
Ann Shanks - Physiotherapist & Clinic Manager
Ann is our head physio and the clinic manager at Chigwell. Ann used to work for the prestigious and world renowned “Bobath Centre”, she has many years experience as both a physiotherapist and a physiotherapy manager in the NHS and private sectors. Ann, who is Robert’s mother, works closely with our osteopaths and they with her, she helps coordinate the smooth running and patient management at all our clinics.
Ben Medniuk - Osteopath
Ben is one of our most senior osteopaths, having worked at our Chigwell clinic for over 7 years. Ben is recognised by all (major) medical insurance companies including BUPA. Having supplemented his osteopathic training with post graduate courses in medical acupuncture and electrotherapy, Ben is able to offer treatment for a wide range of conditions using a combination of various approaches. His special interests lie in classical osteopathy and treatment of the elderly.
Akin Celik - Osteopath & Massage Therapist
Akin originates from Turkey and in 2018 graduated from the University College of Osteopathy with a Masters in Osteopathy. From a young age, he knew he wanted to be an osteopath having been treated by one following several injuries after a horse riding incident.
Additionally, he has many years experience in sports massage, medical acupuncture/dry needling, Kinesio and active taping which he can use to enhance his osteopathic treatments. Akin always aims to provide therapy with both enthusiasm and professionalism in an effort to encourage wellness in all his patients.
Matthew Irvine - Osteopath
Matthew is a highly skilled Osteopath who uses his attention to detail to help with each and every one of his patients who come to see him here at spine plus. Matthew is very passionate about his approach to Osteopathy and how it can help all patients with their symptoms. Matthew’s passion and drive to promote Osteopathy was highlighted when he was selected to be joined by a few other elite students to study and train in Melbourne’s prestigious Victoria university. It was here in Melbourne that Matthew first learnt about the wonders of how shockwave therapy , acupuncture, dry cupping, intervertebral disc distraction (IDD) and ultrasound therapy could help him with his patients presenting symptoms.
Veena Kudhail - Postural Therapist
As a highly experienced and qualified Postural Alignment and Corrective Exercise Specialist, Veena’s work involves identifying muscular imbalances in the body and then designing personalised corrective exercise programs. Veena is highly passionate about her work and is a valuable source of feedback and advice to the rest of our clinical team.
Phillipa Shanks - Receptionist
Denise Thurgood - Receptionist
Facilities and Equipment
- Treatment rooms, reception and waiting area and disabled access throughout.
- Rehabilitation gym: commercial grade multigym, free weights, commercial cross bike, exercise resistance bands, strapping, physio balls, balance balls & cushions, foam rollers etc.
- Retail items: Off the shelf orthotics, heel lifts, ice packs, orthopaedic pillows, orthopaedic supports and braces.
- Mechanical and electrical therapy equipment: ultrasound, interferential, short wave, soft laser, lumbar traction, cervical traction.
2a Oak Lodge Ave, Chigwell, London | IG7 5HZ
Request a call-back
The easiest way to make an inquiry or to book an appointment is to call the clinic on the number above. However to request a call back from us, please fill in the form below.
|Monday||8am – 8pm|
|Tuesday||8am – 8pm|
|Wednesday||8am – 8pm|
|Thursday||8am – 8pm|
|Friday||8am – 5pm|
|Saturday||9am – 4pm|
Our Chigwell clinic is only two minutes walk from Grange Hill underground station.
Free parking is available on site.